When Arthur J. Gallagher founded our company in a Chicago basement office in 1927, the world was a vastly different place. However, ‘old-fashioned’ business values, such as honesty, integrity and client advocacy are as relevant today as they were more than 90 years ago.
Arthur J. Gallagher founded a company in his own image. He was an insurance and risk management pioneer, yes. But he was also a relationships man who placed great importance on truly understanding and identifying the risks faced by his clients, and in arranging insurance and risk management programs to safeguard their livelihoods.
Arthur took that commitment to building long-lasting client relationships very seriously. And that approach has been ingrained in our business ethos ever since.
In 1984, we listed on the US Stock Exchange. Prior to the float, our former Chairman and CEO Robert E. Gallagher – Arthur’s son – wanted to ensure that the spirit and heart of our business remained, even as we looked to the future.
Robert wrote out a 25-point list of the values we share as a company. These tenets, that we simply call The Gallagher Way, continue to shape the direction of our company, our approach to corporate social responsibility, and how we treat our clients and our colleagues.
- We are a Sales and Marketing Company dedicated to providing excellence in Risk Management Services to our clients.
- We support one another. We believe in one another. We acknowledge and respect the ability of one another.
- We push for professional excellence.
- We can all improve and learn from one another.
- There are no second-class citizens – everyone is important and everyone's job is important.
- We're an open society.
- Empathy for the other person is not a weakness.
- Suspicion breeds more suspicion. To trust and be trusted is vital.
- Leaders need followers. How leaders treat followers has a direct impact on the effectiveness of the leader.
- Interpersonal business relationships should be built.
- We all need one another. We are all cogs in a wheel.
- No department or person is an island.
- Professional courtesy is expected.
- Never ask someone to do something you wouldn't do yourself.
- I consider myself support for our Sales and Marketing. We can't make things happen without each other. We are a team.
- Loyalty and respect are earned – not dictated.
- Fear is a turn-off.
- People skills are very important at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.
- We're a very competitive and aggressive Company.
- We run to problems – not away from them.
- We adhere to the highest standards of moral and ethical behavior.
- People work harder and are more effective when they're turned on – not turned off
- We are a warm, close Company. This is a strength – not a weakness.
- We must continue building a professional Company – together – as a team.
- Shared values can be altered with circumstances – but carefully and with tact and consideration for one another's needs.
When accepted Shared Values are changed or challenged, the emotional impact and negative feelings can damage the Company.
Find out more
We are here to help at Arthur J. Gallagher Australia. Please fill out the form below with your enquiry and we will get in contact with you as soon as possible.